wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wFriday, March 08, 2002


THE AUTHOR AS ANGRY DEITY: As I was reviewing a couple of books for The Stranger last night, I was reminded of an unpleasant truth about creators that Joel Miller had to help me formulate. They may harbor good feelings for their characters, but if they want to keep an audience interested, they must act like angry unreasonable deities – putting them through sheer hell for our entertainment. If there’s no misery there’s no story; no conflict, no resolution. They may bring their books to a satisfying resolution but it's worth remembering that storytellers are the polar opposite of peacemakers.

posted by Jeremy at 1:19 PM