wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSaturday, March 23, 2002


BROCK TALK: Talk about getting the reviewer one deserves. The bio line of the Washington Post's reviewer of David Brock's new book reads as follows: " Bruce Bawer is the author of 'A Place at the Table: The Gay Individual in American Society' and 'Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity.'" My first thought on reading that was, Why didn't they just get Michelangelo Signorile to review it?

But then I read the review and was soundly disabused of my preconceived reflexes. The pompously titled book ("Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative" - pin a rose on your nose David) comes off sounding catty, nasty and too self-aggrandizing by half. Brock insists, says Bawer, that he was really a classical liberal at heart, but that he got caught up in a bigoted conservative crowd and dwagged into saying and writing aww kinds of nawty widdle tings about perfectly decent, albeit liberal, human beings. If David Brock is a classical liberal then I'm the Easter Bunny.

I won't be reading his new book (unless somebody out there wants me to review it) and neither, I suspect, will a whole lot of other people. Brock, and the crowd he currently hangs with, is so last decade.

(Full disclosure: Even though I've never met Brock, I wrote a bit for the American Spectator last summer and thus found Brock's attacks against longtime managing editor and gentleman Wlady Pleszczynski - my current editor at The American Prowler - to be unlikely, humorless and mean; thus the snarky tone of the above post.)


posted by Jeremy at 3:42 AM