wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSunday, May 05, 2002


REDNECK RAMBLINGS: Evan McElravy - fellow American getting edgumicated at a Canadian college (in his case McGill), fellow blogger, fellow Reason contributor (I've been published there more, but as Evan will be the first to point out, he got a cover story) - has finally gotten around to concocting a reply to my piece on Canada. And it's a doozy.

I have promised to wait until a whole lot more comments come in before I pronounce on the subject (and I will stick to that pledge) but any readers who are interested in this subject will do themselves a great disservice if they do not read Evan's reply and cogitate on it. For reasons that I will elaborate upon later, I still believe that he is wrong, but that he is wrong on the whole does not mean that he doesn't nail some of the parts. To the wall.

There is, however, one paragraph that simply cries out for reply:

"I can't help but feel that, since [Jeremy Lott] commutes home to Washington every day after class in BC, he's missing out on some of the really disfunctional aspects of the country; Jean Chr├ętien's odious regime deserves whatever infamy Jeremy cares to heap upon it, but without dealing on a daily basis with Canada's monopoly electric companies, phone companies, Bromdignagian banks, or with the Kafka-esque administration of a university big enough to be listed in the Macleans rankings, he can't really understand just how defective the country's institutions really can be. Things are worse than he knows."

Three clarifications:

1) Yes, I commute to and from Canada now but that was not always so. The first year, I lived on campus.

2) I have dealt with silly Canadian bankers and continue to do so. T'ain't fun.

3) Actually, Trinity Western is large enough to be listed in Macleans. That it isn't, as one departing professor explained, is largely a function of stereotypic discrimination. Trinity is both evangelical and private and so the editors of Canada's premier newsmagazine want to think of it as the Bob Jones University of the north. This is so far from the actual experience as to be comical.

posted by Jeremy at 12:31 AM