wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wThursday, April 10, 2003


VICIOUS LAUGHTER UNJUSTIFIED: While the hawks are practically dancing in the streets (scroll down), I thought it might be a good time to eat a little crow. On March 17, I wrote that in the event of war

I hope that the Iraqi army will surrender without a fight. I also hope that no American soldiers or Iraqis are exposed to nerve agents or biological weapons, and I'm really hoping that that mote scenerio--trenches filled with burning oil making a wall of fire--doesn't happen. Also, it would be nice if Hussein didn't set the oil fields on fire.

Cue vicious laugh track.

Or, you know, don't.

Tragic, tragic things could still happen in Iraq, but so far a number of the worries by squishes and doves have been proved wrong. There have been civilian casualties but not massacres; soldiers haven't given up without a fight but the dessertion rate has skyrocketed; nerve gasses or other toxins have not been used on U.S. forces; and most of the few oil well fires that were started have been put out.

Unlike some, I never doubted the ability of the U.S. armed services to pull this off. But I'm glad that the mission--about which I was deeply conflicted--has gone so well.

posted by Jeremy at 12:15 PM