wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wThursday, May 01, 2003


BUM DEAL: My latest "Latte Sipping" column is live at the American Spectator Online. It includes some thoughts on bums:

Maybe it was my wacky public school education, but I've always had a soft spot in my cold black heart for bums. Some see begging as inherently shameful, but I remain baffled as to why. What could be a more human than one person appealing to another's generosity or ego, asking for any help -- any crumb -- that the other is willing to give? Young professionals do the same thing every day, several times a day, and then get indignant when a guy on the sidewalk asks "Buddy, can you spare a buck?"

and

The problem has only gotten worse since I last put a flower in my hair. In a Christian Science Monitor article last spring, Mark Sappenfield wrote that San Fran, a city so tolerant that "urinating in public is a cherished right," is trying to figure out to do with its bums. The problem isn't so much the massive expenditure on public health -- $100 million a year in the city and the surrounding area -- as that so many of them are dying [more]

posted by Jeremy at 11:24 PM