wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wFriday, June 06, 2003


THE KVETCH: Too hot to blog yesterday and the temperature is already approaching unbearable. So a few quick hits and then I'm going to retreat to the main floor of my house.

Re: the Howell Raines' resignation, (critic!) Ana Marie Cox had about the least grating take:

I doubt much will really change. Sure, the paper would be wise to engage an ombudsman and stringers may get more fair compensation. But who will get appointed executive editor next? In the TV-movie version -- or even in a just world (aren't they one and the same?) -- the top job would be awarded to Metro editor Jonathan "We have to stop Jayson from writing for the Times" Landman.

This Cinderella story is unlikely at the Times. I'm not enough of a Times watcher to even make a guess at who will get the job, but I think it's safe to say it will be a Sulzburger crony, and that the core character of the paper will be unaffected: Its writing will be needlessly colorful, its opinions prosaically imperious and its culture one of privilege and insularity.

And Jayson Blair's book is going to fly off the fucking shelves.

Depressing, but at least we can take comfort in the fact that the Times is no longer the paper of record (nya!).

I linked an Andrew Ferguson piece in my most recent "Latte Sipping" column on seatbelt laws. The end is difficult to forget:

"But now that we've made air bags mandatory," I asked, "why do we need seat belts? Aren't they redundant?"

His voice rose an octave.

"Are you serious?" he said in exasperation. "Are you kidding? Do you know what an air bag does? An air bag is an explosion in the closed passenger compartment of an automobile. This thing exerts nearly a ton of pressure as it inflates."

"Jeez," I said.

"Exactly," he said. "You need the seat belt to protect you from the air bag."

Finally, and belatedly, happy birthday to my kid brother Christopher. He turned 14 yesterday.

posted by Jeremy at 10:59 AM