wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wThursday, October 16, 2003


DON'T PULL THE PLUG: Here' the end of my column today. Rather a downer, I'm afraid, but I didn't see how that could be avoided, given the subject matter:

There is, of course, another aspect of this case that I almost hesitate to mention. Florida Governor Jeb Bush has promised Terri's parents all the support he can muster, but he insists that the courts will have the final word. In a legal sense, he's correct, but I wonder if his decision isn't a bit like Pontius Pilate cleverly washing his hands of what is about to happen.

That is, with the intense interest that the case has aroused, I'm not sure if the courts are ready for the backlash from Terri Schiavo's death. Many would see the courts as an agent of her demise, and rightly so. If I were in Congress, I would view Judge Greer's decision an impeachable offense, as much to avoid the hit the judiciary would take as anything else. The case is a potentially delegitimizing one, which places justice and humanity on one side, and the courts on the other. And the Internet would make this crime nearly impossible to forget. [more]

posted by Jeremy at 7:13 AM