wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wFriday, October 29, 2004


LIVE FROM FAIRFAX: My silence for most of the week was due to the fact that I had to visit D.C. on business. I'll fly back tomorrow night and then arrive in Lynden at about 2 a.m. Sunday. Bother. A few Jeremy Lott items appeared in the Spectator and GetReligion, so I'll stop whining and make with the links.

The Spectator ran a cover story Tuesday about how Kerry would be awful on the foreign policy question. This generated few comments to the editor but there are comment threads at Reason and Matt Welch's website.

At GetReligion, I tried to clear the assignment desk by telling reporters to cover missions and globalization. Specifically, look at the local church not as some backwater but as a center of information in which foreign advisors regularly bring them reports from the rest of the world, and also as a private source of foreign aid. I also related a story from Cambodia, in which many former members of the Khmer Rouge are having a come-to-Jesus moment.

In response to the last piece, someone posted a link to the same story, annotated with the following comments:

You can see these khmer rouge become Christian because Khmer People do not want them. The Buddhist do not want them. So they join Christian and hoping God would forgive their sin. If there is a god, I do not think god would ever forgive their sin. Hell will be waiting for them...

The author goes on to say that he thinks the Khmer Christians will start killing their former colleagues who cling to Buddhism. My knowledge of squabbles within the former revolutionary movement is limited but if people are turning to Christianity in part because of guilt over their past actions, then it would seem counterintuitive to expect more purges.

But who knows. I almost titled the post "You masters of war," in reference to Bob Dylan's angriest song ever. The target was the military industrial thingamabob, but the sentiment still applies:

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins


How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do


I think Dylan, in his Christian phase, changed his mind about that.

posted by Jeremy at 9:59 AM