wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSunday, November 21, 2004


NOT DEAD YET: I'm here in Fairfax but I'm still unpacking and trying to fend off what wants to become a cold. First day at the Cato Friday went as well as could be expected.

Last night I reaffirmed my belief that, except for the wonderful fluke that was Tombstone, Val Kilmer cannot act. This time, new evidence for my belief came from the David Mamet film Spartan, which has got to be one of the worst flicks of '04. After, I put in the 1979 movie 1941, an altogether more satisfying (and yukifying) experience.

I posted yesterday on GetReligion about a piece which, well, here's an excerpt:

Retired Lt. Col. Ralph Peters' creative thinking, his vast knowledge, and his clear, bold prose make it a good bet that you won't go wrong by reading a piece with his byline attached. You probably will not agree with everything he argues but you'll go away with something to ponder.

Case in point: He penned an op-ed for the Wednesday edition of USA Today titled "Nothing Islamic about human sacrifice." The piece begins by cataloguing violent, horrific acts that we group under the banner of Islamic terrorism, and then says that we are wrong to do so. We are wrong, Peters says, because, while these men "quote the Koran," "wear Muslim garments," and "perform the daily rituals prescribed by the faith into which they were born," they represent a return to a tradition that pre-dates Mohammad.

Put baldly, "Moses, Christ and Mohammad uniformly rejected…human sacrifice," but not so with this current crop of troublemakers.

The title of my post was taken from a line in Peters' essay: "When gods drank human blood." I didn't work this into the GR item but, in Catholicism, it's rather the other way around.

I'll hammer out a piece for the Spectator this week on the broader sociological implications of my harrowing journey east.

posted by Jeremy at 3:13 PM