wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wFriday, November 05, 2004


PUBLISH OR PERISH: I've written several things this week that I should link here. At GetReligion, I spelled out the reasons for John Kerry's dog day, and then I played whack-a-mole with the New York Times editorial page. (Doug LeBlanc and Terry Mattingly had comments related to what I called "the great New York Times freak out" here and here -- the last post even has a theme song.) Over at the Spectator, I have a meandering piece today about what comes next:

When could-have-been veep John Edwards took the stage in Boston at about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, face puckered, tired, and obviously angry, things did not look promising. Edwards reiterated the standard Kerry talking points that they would "fight for every vote" and that every last vote would be counted.

Given Bush's commanding lead of well over a 100,000 votes in Ohio, I knew Kerry could not prevail. Looking at the same data, NBC and Fox had already called it for Bush, and anybody who knows anything about retail politics had seen the fat lady scribbling furiously on the wall.

It was done, over, finito, and here was Johnny One Note ("Two Americas!") itching for a repeat of the 2000 debacle, with his candidate about 98,000 votes shy of grounds to contest anything.

But then, leaving the stage, Edwards did something that made me smile. In order to work the crowd, he tried Bill Clinton's old finger pointing trick (where you point at the audience like you're connecting with individuals) and added maybe a dozen of his trademark elevated thumbs-ups. He combined these gestures in an awkward display that my brother compared to the spasmodic dance moves of Seinfeld's Elaine Benes.

Somebody should save the tape to use as comic relief when the former North Carolina legislator makes a run at the White House in '08 [more]

posted by Jeremy at 1:52 PM