wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSunday, January 30, 2005


BILL BUCKLEY IS MY MUSE: Here's a piece that appears in the current issue of Books & Culture by moi about the life and work of William F. Buckley, Jr.

I would very much encourage readers to subscribe to Books & Culture. It's a publication that I have been associated with for a number of years now and I look forward to receiving evey new issue of the magazine, regardless of whether one of my essays is in it. Click here to get a risk-free trial issue.

That said, on with the review:

In his own reckoning, William Frank Buckley, Jr., is not an introspective man. A few years back, I caught an episode of the Charley Rose Show in which the emotive host tried to get the writer to imagine something he would have done differently, given the chance. Buckley refused to bite, expressing a disinclination most fully articulated in Overdrive, a week-in-the-life "personal documentary" published when the Reagan administration was still young: "I do resist introspection though I can not claim to have 'guarded' against it, because even to say that would suppose that the temptation to do so was there, which it isn't." If it's true, he remarked elsewhere, that only the examined life is worth living, then his life has been misspent.

Here, as so often, one envies Buckley's facility with languages; my designation of him as a big fat liar would sound so much more dignified in French or Spanish. [more]





posted by Jeremy at 10:05 PM