wJeremiads
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley

You've stumbled upon the website of Jeremy Lott. (To learn more about me, go here.) I can be reached at JEREMYAL123 -- AT -- YAHOO.COM.


wArchives:


-- HOME --



This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSaturday, May 28, 2005


ON SECOND THOUGHT: OK, I will accomodate this one meme, but then all you memesters out there have to agree to leave me the hell alone.

1. Total number of books I've owned.

Depends. If we distinguish between books I bought to resell and books I bought because they looked interesting, then I would put somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 books in the latter category. But the line is a bit blurred because many books I bought because I had an inkling I might like them but was reasonably certain that I could sell them. Put the two categories together and I have "owned" at least tens of thousands of books.

2. Last book I bought.

According to Amazon.com, I purchased several items on May 14. The one book book (as opposed to comic book) that I bought from the Amazon Warehouse was Theodore Dalrymple's Our Culture, What's Left of It.

3. Last book I read.

On Bullshit, by Harry G. Frankfurt:

But it is preposterous to imagine that we ourselves are determinate, and hence susceptible both to correct and incorrect descriptions, while supposing that the ascription of determinacy to anything else has been exposed as a mistake. As conscious beings, we exist only in response to other things, and we cannot know ourselves at all without knowing them. Moreover, there is nothing in theory, and certainly nothing in experience, to support the extraordinary judgment that it is the truth about himself that is the easiest for a person to know. Facts about ourselves are not peculiarly solid and resistant to skeptical dissolution. Our natures are, indeed, elusively insubstantial – notoriously less stable and less inherent than the natures of other things. And insofar as this is the case, sincerity itself is bullshit.


4. Five books that mean a lot to me.

a) Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self Help Book, by Walker Percy

I've given a few dozen copies of this book away to people. So far as I know, not one person has read it yet.

b) The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli

c) Job, by anonymous

One of these days, I shall write my own book on Job.

d) Brain Storm, by Richard Dooling

Sorry but Your Soul Just Died, the novel.

e) Jesus and the Holocaust, by Joel Marcus

My Good Friday reading.

5. Tag 5 people.

No.

posted by Jeremy at 11:35 AM